Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Don't worry, Be happy!

Back in 1988, we were all introduced to Bobby McFerrin through his well-known song, "Don't Worry Be Happy." That song is the only one most people know, and most everyone I talk to thinks of Bobby McFerrin  as a one-hit wonder. I'm not sure how I discovered the REAL Bobby McFerrin, but I have always been grateful I did. There are few artists over the years that have compelled me to buy all their albums. (Toad the Wet Sprockett, Duncan Sheik, etc), and Bobby McFerrin is one of them. So, I am a happy person right now - Bobby McFerrin has a NEW ALBUM!!

Now, since most of you are not familiar with how diverse and wildly talented this man is, I am going to introduce you to him a bit more and encourage you to go find more of his music on Spotify, Grooveshark, or whatever your favorite music service is.

What you may not know, is Bobby comes from a family of music. In fact, his father, Robert McFerrin, was the first African-American to sing with the Metropolitan Opera in NYC. Bobby had been putting out music for several years before his grammy-winning, #1 song, "Don't Worry Be Happy". In fact, his first album was in 1982. Now, as I provide some samples, you will see how amazing a vocalist and musician he is. Enjoy...

DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY (album: Simple Pleasures, 1988)


Bobby is amazing with his range and his ability to mix in his own percussion sounds. Truly amazing stuff.

THINKING ABOUT YOUR BODY (album: Spontaneous Inventions, 1986)




His range in musical tastes and ability is incredible and is partly why he has collaborated with some fo the best musicians in the world...


I really like his more recent stuff as well...

SAY LADEO (album: Vocabularies, 2010)



And I think his concerts would be AWESOMELY FUN!!



And if you want to get a real picture of his talent and person, check this one out...





Ok, I'll end with this one, which I think is one of my favorites of his...



From classical to jazz to pop and everything in and out of those boxes, Bobby Mcferrin has done it. From working with Chick Corea, Yo Yo Ma, Robin Williams, Esperanza Spalding, and many many more, Bobby has for decades been one of the greatest voices and musicians in he world - and I am thrilled to hear and enjoy his new album "Spirityouall". I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

PS - I had to add this one in. It's from one of my favorite albums of Bobby McFerrin: Paper Music. By the way, he not only conducts this, he is the soloist. amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment