Wednesday, March 6, 2013

All Hail the Falsetto!

Anyone else notice a trend in music right now? It is the emergence of a number of amazing singer who all excel at serenading in a falsetto voice. Personally, I love it. So, this post I thought I would feature a couple of songs from my favorite high pitched crooners, some old timers and some new ones...

ARTIST # 1: James Vincent McMorrow
Album: Early in the Morning
Song: Higher Love


Love this song (it's the first song in this video). Love this artist. There is something nice about the vulnerable, imperfectness of his voice. He is great at phrasing and creating a mood for the song. Definitely a winner. Listen to the second song in the video to get a further taste or check out his album on your favorite music service.

ARTIST # 2: Bon Iver
Album: Bon Iver
Song: Holocene



Oh my holy wow. Seriously. No matter how many times I hear this song, I still get chills. Bon Iver (real name is Justin Vernon) has been around a long while, but last year he surprised a bunch of folks and got himself two Grammys as "Best New Artist" and "Best Alternative Album". And deservedly so. Need more proof of greatness? Check out ths next song, called, "I Can't Make You Love Me"...


ARTIST #3: Alek Fin
Album: Mull - EP
Song: Waiting Like Wolf


This is a new, emerging artist. Reminds me A LOT of Radiohead - with a new twist. I love this guy's music. He's not always in falsetto, but he is a lot and it's a smart falsetto. You really should check out his 2010 album, "Better When Seen From Above". I am hoping to see a bunch more music from this guy soon.

ARTIST #4: James Blake
Album: Retrograde
Song: Retrograde



I know, i know, Lance featured this already...BUT WHO CARES!!  It had to be included in this theme. James Blake is pretty well known to many music fans, but seriously, his music isn't getting old any time soon. This song is a smart vocal with cool lyrics. Sit back and chill to his music all night!

ARTIST #7: JT...Justin Timberlake
Album: Justified
Song: Cry Me a River


Like him or not, Justin Timberlake is doing amazing things with his music and this song was one of the first big songs that really showed his falsetto, I think.  His falsetto is really smooth.


ARTIST #6: Radiohead
Album: In Rainbows
Song: Nude



One of the best ever. what else needs to be said about a legend and a groundbreaking artist?

ARTIST #7: Curtis Mayfield
Album:  Superfly
Song: Superfly


Maybe the grandfather of the smooth falsetto, Mayfield was incredible. You have to pay homage to this guy!

That raps it up for me. Now go listen to some more music!!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment